- Creating in-game characters from scratch following a concept art or art direction by keeping in mind and following the technical requirements.
- Creating of textures (diffuse, normal map, specular, gloss/roughness) needed to display a photorealistic human in game.
- Working closely with Tech Art, concept art and other dependent departments throughout the character production process.
- 3+ years of professional experience in a Character Artist capacity.
- Good understanding of current game art processes, limitations and dependencies.
- Good understanding of anatomy and representing anatomy in topology.
- Ability to create all textures needed for creating photorealistic looking humans.
- Good knowledge of human body structure and topology for facial animation.
- Ability to create game ready assets that work well within the given technical limitations.
- Strong knowledge of industry standard 3D software (3DS Max, Maya, Marvelous Designer, Zbrush).
- Has a strong knowledge of current texturing pipelines (Substance Painter and Photoshop)
- Demonstrates a strong ability to create believable photorealistic garments and human characters within a games engine
- Shows a good foundation in human anatomy.
- Ability to creatively translate concepts, ideas into authentic characters with an attention to detail.
- Good English communication and writing skills.
- A positive, problem-solving and team-oriented attitude.
- Be proactive, self-motivated and be able to work without direct supervision.
- Willing to relocate to Frankfurt, Germany.
- A good eye for character design
- Keen eye on detail and realism
- Organic character elements (such as a human face) and non-organic character elements (such as metal armor).
- Game ready garment assets using Marvelous Designer.
- High polygon sculpting.
- Texturing on game characters.
- Ability to derive a well structured low-poly model from the high poly model
- Efficient UV layout for low-poly characters
- Experience with game engines (such as CRYENGINE).
- Knowledge of real-time hair production using hair cards.
- Experience with rigging, skinning or animation.
- Game or Film Industry experience is strongly preferred.
- Traditional Art background (including self education) is preferred.
Apply for this Position
Please apply directly online and, if applicable, upload your materials as specified on the job posting. Fields marked with a * are required.
We are Crytek.
Crytek is an independent video game developer, publisher, and technology provider based in Frankfurt, Germany.
Crytek pushes the boundaries of the possible to make the impossible a reality. We want to create the most fun gaming experiences around, and if we have to blow up computer system requirements or push genre boundaries to do so, then we will. With almost two decades of experience in the games industry, Crytek takes its unique combination of experience and skills and continue to make an impact via innovative, fun, cutting-edge games and technology.